Chemotherapy is the most helpful therapy used for cancer treatment. To describe it easily, it is an anticancer therapy, also familiar with the name of cell killing therapy in medical terms. Chemotherapy involves application of different radiation techniques over the parts of the body affected by the cancerous growth. A person who needs to go under Chemotherapy must prepare himself or herself for this. Below are some of the ideas to prepare you for the same
- A person needs to go under certain tests
- Schedule a pretreatment dental checkup
- Planning ahead
- Reduce stress and be comfortable
- Eat right
- The first important thing that an individual must undergo is a series of heart tests. These tests should be done to check the person’s heart health and shows whether the person is healthy enough to start the Chemotherapy or not.
- Another important test is the blood test for certain genes. This is again very important as particular genes respond differently to Chemotherapy drugs.
- The mouth can be a source of infection during different types of Chemotherapy treatment. So it is advisable to have a pretreatment dental checkup before you undergo chemotherapy.
- To have knowledge of other possible side effects in advance can help a patient after the treatment.
- It is important for the patient to consult the doctor about the side effects of the therapy so that he or she can make different arrangements for the same. For example, if it causes infertility then the patient can plan in advance to store fertilized eggs for future use.
- Another thing that can be planned is making all the necessary arrangements to help at home and at work as well.
- You may also need to stock items for the post treatment such as dressing supplies, medications, food and beverages.
- The patient must find out one or two ways to reduce stress and relax prior to treatment. Talking with others in a similar position can provide valuable knowledge and you may relax better than you were thinking. Deep breathing exercise, music and hobbies are also known to reduce stress.
- Also he or she must prepare themselves to wear comfortable clothing during the treatment. The clothing should be loose and easy to wear for the patient.
- It is important to keep the body working at its best for the treatment. For this a good nutrition is important.
- A healthy eating plan includes fruits and vegetables, whole grains, moderate amount of low- fat meals and milk products.
- You might also require high calorie or high protein foods such and milk, cream, cheese, etc.
There are always few side effects of Chemotherapy which includes nausea, fatigue or vomiting and hair loss. Patients going for Chemotherapy might notice little changes in skin color as well. So if you want to opt for Chemotherapy you need to be confident and determined as this kind of radiation therapy requires patience and is very good for your body and health if done in a proper and controlled manner.