Cancer is one of the most rapidly growing medical enemies of the humans in contemporary times. Three out of every ten people develop cancer at some point of their lives. What is even more worrying is the fact that cancerous cells are also been noticed to have spread due to heredity factors as well. However, medical science is doing a lot of research and has achieved great success in the field of new and improved techniques through which cancer can be kept in control, if not prevented completely. The most important place a person can go to, if detected with cancer, is the cancer research centers.
There are many cancer research centers in the world which take on the dual duty of research as well as treating the patients as in a hospital. Though there are many different types of treatments available that makes the choice easy, there are few factors that one needs to keep in mind before availing any treatment.
- No treatment is hundred per cent accurate. There are chances of the cancer re-developing as well. These treatments act more likely as protecting and control methods rather than prevention and complete cure methods.
- There are side effects attached to each and every treatment which deals with treating cancer.
- These treatments are not inexpensive. The monetary factor is an important one which one has to consider before opting for such treatments. It is beneficial to have a medical insurance in such times.
- The most important factor is that a lot of the intake of the treatment depends on the patient. The patients’ immune system and ability to absorb the treatment is of great importance when one goes through such treatment.
Some of the very common types of treatment which are implemented on a cancer patient are listed below:
- Radiology deals with the science of treating cancerous cells with radiation. This is also called radiation therapy in medical terms.
- Chemotherapy is probably the most common and the most heard of treatment undertaken during cancer.
- Hormonal treatment is also implemented when the cancer occurs in areas which give off important hormones.
- Vaccines are also given to people or children in order to prevent cancer. A latest type of vaccine which has been implemented is the vaccine used for the prevention of breast cancer in females.
- Antibodies are sometimes injected in the body of a person such that the body slowly becomes immune to those types of cells and there is no fear of cancer developing due to those antibodies.
- Targeted therapy deals with treatment of the target area or the areas specifically.
- Depending on the stage of the cancer and the intensity of it sometimes one has to opt for surgery. These surgeries are also efficiently performed by the doctors.